Monday, December 10, 2012

Color Fields Illustrating Color Theory

4 Barns, Acrylic, 8x8" each Click to Bid

When you get the value structure right, you can plug in all sorts of feisty colors. I took a photo of a barn, did a 3 value sketch of it and then played with color. It's fun - and addictive - to take an image and spin it off into many color schemes.

Speaking of color schemes, my latest book, "Color Theory - An essential guide to color - from basic principles to practical applications" arrived today in the mail. It looks great, if I say so myself. The publisher did a fabulous job keeping the colors accurate. It was quite an undertaking - I created over 60 paintings and numerous color charts, diagrams, color wheels and more. The only paintings that were not mine were my husband's - 3 oil portraits illustrating Asian, light and dark-skinned Black flesh tones. It's a real treat to see the final published book. Hmmm, I think a celebration is in order...something bubbly!

11 comments:

Scott Ruthven said...

Congratulations on your new book!

Nancy Colella said...

When and where can we get the book? This is a great post. And a great exercise! Thanks for sharing.

Patti Mollica said...

hey, thanks you guys! the book is available on amazon and there is a link in the post. i also put a "widget" on the right hand side you you can click on it and go right to amazon. you can also click inside to see some pages, but i noticed they don't show "the good stuff", mostly just the charts and diagrams...

Bruce Bingham said...

I love these color fields. I was lucky to get a preview of the book so I know that it's stuffed full of handy info about color that's great for both oil and acrylic painters.

It's a must have for your art library!

Francesco Fontana, AWS said...

Just ordered it on Amazon! The color field concept is an endless source of surprise. It'll be great to expand it with your insights, Patti. Thanks and best of luck. -- Thank you Bruce for sharing : )

Dean H. said...

Congrats on the book, Patti! :)
I am fascinated with the beauty of these barn paintings!

Patti Mollica said...

Thanks very much, Dean!! glad you like them, they were really fun to do.

Patti Vincent said...

So glad I got to see these in person in Cary. I love them and can't wait to follow your lead. Thank you.

Patti Mollica said...

Thanks Patti! its so nice to meet you and work with you. From what I can see (until you WIPE THEM OFF) you are doing great work! :-)

New Kira said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Вот бы на русский язык её перевести! Или в электронном виде купить.