Monday, January 30, 2012

Poppysilk Red



Good old Revlon #714. I've only been wearing this shade of lipstick for a bazillion years. I gave up on nail polish a long time ago, it seemed pointless since my hands and fingernails are always covered with lovely, festive blobs of paint.

Yesterday I painted this setup in oil, and then decided it would be a fun exercise to see how it translated to acrylic, using much larger (and much cheaper) brushes than I use for oil. I thought the two paintings would be totally different, but was surprised to see they are fairly similar. The acrylic painting went very fast because I had the advantage of already "knowing" it. If it's not immediately obvious, the acrylic version has the slightly bluer background.

In any setup, there is often one thing that catches my eye and moves me to paint ... in this case it was that blue-green color spot reflecting up into the metallic paint tube.

Poppysilk Red
6x6" oil and acrylic (each) on canvas, Price on request

7 comments:

Nancy Colella said...

This a wonderful post! I've always admired artists that can do both oil and acrylic and still get the same feel in the paintings. You are incredibly versatile in everything you do! Cool.

Denise Rose said...

You handle acrylic paints like no other artist I know - my versions would not look the same if I did this! Great post!

artbylmr said...

Looking forward to your presentation in Rome Thursday night. Love your loose style and bold brush strokes.

Jerry Stocks said...

Patti, you are without a doubt the artist that I would most want to take a class with. These two paintings are super fantastic. You are the greatest!!!!

Kim Rempel said...

Snappy and a great composition. That is one killer pink!

Page Pearson Railsback said...

Love them..and agree with NC..your verstility is outstanding. I have your little booklet on painting with acrylics...I love it

Patti Mollica said...

Thanks for the nice comments, all. Jerry, you totally made my day - hope we can work together sometime and that your classes are going great. Looking forward to my Rome presentation!!