Saturday, November 3, 2012

Art and Fear

"NYSandy" 18x24" Acrylic/Mixed Media (Sold)
It was like living in the Wizard of Oz, just before the house got launched. The sounds of approaching Sandy were ferocious, I have never heard wind roar so loudly, sticks and branches flying around, banging into the windows. Very soon it would be much larger tree limbs. Waiting for Sandy to hit full force was torture, considering it was already a monster and hadn't even made landfall yet! I was feeling the dread take hold, and then came inevitable power blackout. I got a grip on myself and did what any true artist would do.  Pour a glass of wine (sizable) feel my way around for paints and brushes, strap on my miner's headlamp and do a painting. (posted above).  It's easy to become unhinged when 'the end' feels like it's closing in. Its also incredibly easy to forget about 'the end' altogether when you are in the zone of creativity. I can attest that the act of creating triumphed over fear. (storm? what storm?)
As it turns out the house kinda sorta survived but the garage and car didn't. An enormous Oak tree flattened them out - completely. All things considered, we were really lucky. 
 I want to especially thank Carol Marine who was in contact during the storm's aftermath, genuinely concerned about our situation. She created a DPW Fundraiser for folks like us who got hit, and has even donated the sale of one of her paintings on my behalf. Thanks Carol :-) In times of need, caring friends make all the difference. 
Below is a photo of our ex-garage and the oak tree. It will be a while before we get light, heat, water, refrigeration and all that other must-have stuff, but it's all OK - I've still got my paints, brushes and miner's headlamp...the true essentials!





11 comments:

Sally Dean said...

Amazing. Glad you are okay.
I know that feeling of dread and doom.. Painted through it myself-we were spared this time.

Jerry Stocks said...

Glad you came through unscathed and what an amazing painting. You are truly an inspiring artist.

Bruce Bingham said...

Hey Patti,
I'm sorry you had damage, I can't even see a garage, but glad you're OK. I've got a painting that's being bid on in the fundraiser and I'd love to have the money go directly to you. I'll ask Carol about that. xo and keep painting!
Love the piece.

Nancy Colella said...

Bravo Patti! So glad you got through it OK! Great post and I agree...painting is the best way to escape! Keep us posted and Ihope you get your power back SOON!

angie Brooksby-Arcangioli said...

Hi Patti, Hope you are not too spooked. I can't see a garage under that tree either. Tuesday I'm going to put a painting on auction too and hope that you get all the money for it. The storm painting you did is awesome.

Patti Mollica said...

great to hear from all of you, this too shall pass and all will settle down soon. thanks so much for your support and concern!

Patti Mollica said...

great to hear from all of you, this too shall pass and all will settle down soon. thanks so much for your support and concern!

c.dingman said...

Great to hear from you,and that you can still paint. I live near the Mississippi and have seen the damage water can do. Today some have moved out of the flooded area and some have rebuilt. The area looks like it didn't happen with the exceptions of businesses that leave the high water marks as a testiment of their perseverance.

Christine said...

Patti....great story...sorry about the loss and I love the painting!

Jody Regan said...

What a great idea to use your headlamp, and the meditation of painting to ease the waiting time. Beautiful painting.

Patti Mollica said...

Thanks all for your comments. Doesn't art just help us get thru the worst of times?