Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Red Hot Jazz




Someone asked a question about the painting of the girl in the airport, ("Busted Flat"), whether I painted at the Airport. Painting in public places is do-able, depending on restrictions and permissions, but entails a lot of issues to cope with. What I like to do is sketch and do paintings from the sketches. I did this painting to illustrate how its done -
My husband is a jazz musician (the bass player) and often I go to his gigs and sketch the band while they are playing. Here's a pen sketch - I focused on the big shapes and the values. Not much detail, but just enough to tell a story. Then I did the painting using a limited palette, just using a few colors to indicate values. I did not take photos so I had no extra information to rely on, which forced me to improvise ... which is what the painting is all about.

Red Hot Jazz
Acrylic on canvas, 9x12"

4 comments:

Jerry Stocks said...

Great colors!!

angie Brooksby-Arcangioli said...

This is gorgeous!

patti mollica said...

Thanks gals. Someone was asking about sketchbook type and pen. Apparently they tried to ask the question via the blog "comment" link, but it didn't work, so I'll answer here... I used a regular old sketchbook, spiral bound so that it lies flat. The marker I used was a very fine point black felt tip. Its a bit intimidating to sketch with a felt tip - because you can't make big mistakes - because you can't erase. But my idol, Marvin, http://www.mollicastudio.com/htmlpages/marvin.html sketched in this manner and I found that it forces you to look and draw in a more focused manner - knowing that there is no "safety net" if you mess up. Marvin carried a sketchbook with him wherever he went, and would fill up a sketchbook a week. No exaggeration here. When I first caught a glimpse of one of his sketchbooks of homeless people, I was in a state of "shock and awe"... page after page of amazing beautiful sketches done with a black Bic pen. No mistakes. Unbelievable draftsmanship. I didn't even know it was possible to be this good. Anyways, all that said, both my husband and I started sketching in black Bic pen, partially in honor of Marvin, partially to push the envelope and sketch with no chance of erasing... Ok, i'm blabbing too much, just wanting to say that i've found Its a neat exercise.

Ken Joslin said...

Great job!!