Monday, January 24, 2011

This Weekend's Boston Workshop

Here is a small sampling of the work created in the Boston Workshop... 12 people created 87 small paintings / technique swatches in 1 day (5 hours).


Listed below are blog posts about this weekend's Boston workshop, "Not your Mother's Acrylics" written by two students that attended it.

They totally validate my own experience in working with these new acrylic materials -
  1. 'why would I ever want to paint on (or with) _______ (fill in the blank with a paste, gel or ground) and
  2. 'I can't stop thinking about new ways of incorporating _____(fill in the blank with a paste, gel or ground) into my work -- and I can't get to sleep!
These gals say it much better than I, so read on...


No wonder everyone was exhausted - in a good way, they really explored a slew of paints, gels, pastes, colors, surfaces, textures, techniques, iridescent and interference materials, and more. Some people did small reference sections on each board, with notes off to the side outlining what material and paint types they used, others did actual little paintings and used one technique for the whole thing. We encouraged everyone to write step-by-step notes of their process, because its so easy to get lost in the moment, going with the flow, then look at what you did and say "how the %$@*! did I do that?" If you want to recreate that cool thing you did, better take notes, because so much material gets covered, it can be quite overwhelming, but incredibly exciting.

I will be offering this and other types of workshops in the Rockland/Westchester area soon, through the art centers I teach at (Rockland Center for the Arts, Rye Art Center and Pelham Art Center), as well as free Lecture/Demo's where I will be giving out free paint and product samples to all that attend. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll put you on the list to be notified of upcoming classes and dates. I will post these on my blog as they are scheduled, in a new listing called "Workshops and Demos". BTW - all levels welcome!

6 comments:

angie Brooksby-Arcangioli said...

I would love to go to one of your workshops to get a handle on acrylics.

Anna Maria Pellizzari said...

Will you be teaching this workshop in NYC in the coming months? I'm sure you'd have enough interested students at the Open Center! :)

Patti Mollica said...

Hi Angie - let me know the next time you are in NY - maybe I'll be holding one at that time. Or here's an idea - put together a group of your artist friends in Paris who want to do a two day acrylic workshop (and a space) and I'll come to you :-). BTW I'm going to miss your Gourmandise series - they are sooooo beautiful!

Patti Mollica said...

Hi Anna - right now I'm not scheduled to do so but you could always contact the Open Center and nudge them to schedule it - i think many people in our class would be interested! I'll put you on my list if something comes up... thanks, patti

Patti Mollica said...

Hi Alison I would be happy to - can you send me your email address? I love your website, and your affiliation with "Artists for Conservation"

Patti Mollica said...

I'm sending the Artists for Conservation link to my husband, who teaches underwater drawing classes for scuba divers- to help people SEE the beauty and fragility of the marine environment.