Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Shirley's Bulb


This little bulb in the middle is the real deal, not some recreation of a retro design. It's about 80 years old and belonged to my mother when she was a little girl. It still has the original metal hanging hook on it, which is made of a really sturdy metal - it barely bends - in contrast to the flimsy hooks of today.

When working with Acrylics, there is a sort of built in alarm clock ticking away. They only let you work so long before they gently say, "OK, time to wrap it up now. " That happens after about an hour or so, the paint starts moving different. There are ways around this, such as using products like OPEN paints and mediums, to keep them wet longer. But I actually like this alarm clock function, it pushes me to be more decisive and efficient. If the painting doesn't work by the time my acrylics want to stop, thats OK. I'll opt for a mediocre painting with fresh brushwork and leave it at that. I can always give it to a distant relative as a christmas gift.

Shirley's Bulb
6x6 Acrylic on Board, Price on request

5 comments:

Nancy Colella said...

I have one exactly like that and I just put it on the tree! I love this interpretation of it! FYI. I've given my acrylic painter friends your wonderful book for Christmas and they are thrilled!

angie Brooksby-Arcangioli said...

Beautiful, I know what you mean about the painting saying it's time to stop.

Patti Mollica said...

Hey Nancy thats so cool that you gave them my book as a gift - i hope they like it!!!

Angie - thanks, yes as soon as i start feeling that "drag" its like 'uh oh... '

Brad Miedema said...

Now those are beautiful ornaments! Excellent work Patti!

Patti Mollica said...

Brad, glad you like them, "shirley's bulb" was a bit of a challenge with all those crazy reflections