Friday, December 9, 2011

Two Demos



Back from Art Basel, and had to hit the ground running. It was quite a trip. HUGE art fair, and impossible to see the whole thing. I hit the main largest fairs, Art Basel and Art Miami, as well as some of the smaller shows held in hotels. The overall aesthetic was contemporary art, which took me aback for a minute, till I stopped looking for more representational paintings. Once I let go of my personal agenda and opened myself up to what was being presented, I thoroughly loved it, to the point of not being able to sleep at night because my brain kept playing a slideshow of all the amazing work I saw during the day. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to see a LOT of art in one really cool city (South Beach, Miami) . The people watching and nightlife is just as entertaining as the show. Bring your fancy cocktail dresses and heels, gals - anything goes there.

No sooner did I get home than I had to teach two classes back to back. Having been deprived of doing any painting (my own, at least) since I left, I did a quickie demo for each class. When I say quickie, I mean 20 minutes and 45. I don't like to take up student time painting when they are paying for teaching, so I squeeze these in at the very tail end of the class. It felt great to have the paint flowing through my brush again. Ahhh, thats my home sweet home.

Tangerine
8x8" Acrylic on Gessoboard

Tuscan Vineyard and Grove at Dusk
8x8" Acrylic on Gessoboard

6 comments:

Nancy Colella said...

Love these quick demos! Just the thing to get you back in the saddle!I've been in a dry spell up here and you just inspired me to get the lead out! Thank YOU!

Jerry Stocks said...

You are an amazing artist, and I wished I lived closer to you so that I could take instructions from you.

Patti Mollica said...

thanks you guys !

angie Brooksby-Arcangioli said...

Hi PAtti,
I have friends that show at both of those fairs. Representational is not the word.

c.dingman said...

Looks like your used red as a ground. It made a wonderful painting.

Patti Mollica said...

Hi C.D. thats absolutely right, I did use the red for an underpainting, gave everything a rosy undertone