Sunday, April 28, 2013

The (dreaded) self-portrait



Self Portrait  Acrylic on Gessoboard, 8x10"

Egad, I have not done a self portrait since college. I mean really, who wants to stare at themselves for hours on end... it is not for the faint of heart. But alas, I couldn't avoid it any longer. I am in the home stretch of completing my third book, which is all step-by-step demos of various subjects and issues that painters encounter, such as painting glass and reflections, creating depth with color temperature, layering in glazes, experimenting with color, etc etc.  I've finished nine topics, and the very last one, which I have been avoiding like the plague was... you guessed it, the self-portrait. With my deadline closing in and my excuses running thin, I took a deep breath and faced it - er, me. It wasn't as painful as I expected (isn't that usually the case?) and I may even attempt a few more, now that I've gotten over the hump. One nice benefit of painting with the big brushes in a looser style -- I don't pay much attention to fine detail or, (ahem) lines and wrinkles.  When I squint to see the big shapes and the values, they all drop away so nicely!

7 comments:

Meredith Adler said...

Patti, your self-portrait is fabulous! I am so impressed. And I can't wait for your new book. When is it due out? I really must learn more from you, especially with regard to light and shadow...

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

Such a GREAT post and painting.
This week I have my art students starting a self-portrait.
It is very revealing!

Jerry Stocks said...

Great painting and likeness. Right now I am doing a self portrait in nu-pastels for my final in drawing.

Bruce Bingham said...

Beautiful! Probably best not to wear glasses and squint alot, I'll try to follow your advice if I get my nerve up to try a self portrait.

Can't wait for your new book!

Patti Mollica said...

Thanks guys! Now that the fear has been somewhat dissipated, i may try it again. I stopped doing portraits (of anyone) a long time ago. I had OD'd on them. but this has revived my interest...

Nancy Colella said...

You really nailed that portrait! What a great post! So true. I've done two self portraits. When I showed the one I did in college to my husband years later, he said: "Why did you do a portrait of Bobby Orr?". And I look like Harry Potter on drugs in the one I did most recently. Think it's time to do another one. Thanks for the inspiration!

Unknown said...

This motivates me to do my portrait ! Bravo!