Tuesday, December 10, 2013

J Train Blues

J Train Blues  Oil  8x10" Click to view

How to create a (potential) flop:  Wait till the painting is done and then realize there is no focal point. Then decide what image would make a good focal point, and realize you don't have it. Then look for that exact specific image, at the correct angle, and realize you are looking for a needle in a haystack. Then spend a bunch of time to create the specific image without decent reference and try to figure out what it would look like, and what size it should be, and what the lighting would be, and hope like hell it looks like it works in the scene. Prepare to cry in your beer...
Lesson learned...I got myself in a pickle, then luckily managed to get out. It was a lotta work.

Next time: think first, plan a little, nail down the focal point, finish the painting, and then ... drink the beer

8 comments:

Diane Klock said...

Ha,ha,ha You are so right. I have to admit I have done this more times than I am willing to count. I do like your painting. Keep at it as will and one day it will become second nature, Right ? Better hurry I as I am getting older by the minute. LOL!

Christine said...

if you are referring to this painting then...mmm...I really like it! But I do know what you mean!

juliefordoliver.blogspot.com said...

Gosh - I thought you had a focal point/area. I saw the entrance to the steps with the figure FIRST.

Bruce Bingham said...

Is this the flop? You pulled it off. I really like the composition. It reminds me of some of Jennifer McChristian's compositions so you know you're on the right track! Do more of these! Feel your pain daily.

Patti Mollica said...

Hi Guys and thanks for your comments. yes, this was the "flop".The subway entrance was empty and it stuck out like a sore thumb. I realized it really needed a figure. and a musician would be nice, someone with a story. and of course, the annoying process of trying to find reference, giving up, then having to create the musician who would become the focal point. I think I pulled it off but it was painstaking. lesson learned!

Barbara Pask said...

I like it! I see after reading your comment that you are happy with it now too. Well whew, couldn't understand why you didn't like it.

LindieLee said...

Patti I just bought your three books, three brushes and three videos from North light - fabulous stuff! I do have a question that you didn't address in your books or videos. You bead box that holds your acrylics is sitting on your art table for a long time yet you keep it open to the air, never mist it and the paints stay soft like oils would. You use Golden products but what kind of paint is this or what do you add to keep the paint exposed to the air for so long?

Patti Mollica said...

Lindee, see my most recent blog post for the answer... thanks!