Sunday, August 10, 2014

Green and Greener Pastures

Green Lakes Trail  7x7"  Acrylic  Click for more info


One of the most common issues with painting plein air landscapes is...all that green. Everyone loves lush green landscapes, but we also have a backpack full of colors that we are dying to use. This setting is in a beautiful park in Syracuse, NY, called Green Lakes. Not only is the lake green, but everything else is too. Sometimes when I'm trying to introduce more excitement to a monochromatic scene I either choose a harmonic color scheme to base my interpretation on, or play with temperature relationships, or use the setting as a springboard to design a more interesting composition and modify the shapes accordingly. The one given is a quick value sketch, so I can stay on track no matter which path I choose.  Below is a photo of the landscape. Altho the colors may look dull in the photo, it was actually inspiring, dramatic and colorful, and thats what I hoped to communicate.

There are still a couple of spots left for my workshop in Tuscany in late September - it's sure to be fun!   Here is the info.

Other workshops:
Clemente, CA Nov. 10, 11, 12. Click here for more info.
Carmel, CA Nov. 3-7. Full w/wait list. Click here for more info.
Greenville, NY  May 17-23  Click here for more info